New study reveals the most competitive foundations for offshore wind turbines

The need to install offshore wind turbines in increasingly deeper water will create a demand for larger and heavier foundations and therefore, for cost effective designs. New innovative foundation designs for offshore installations could prove to be more cost effective than conventional foundations for projects involving deeper waters and larger wind turbine sizes. These are the findings of a commercial study carried out by mec these are the findings compares various offshore wind foundation designs based on multiple cost parameters.

MEC Intelligence has launched a commercial study that compares the cost of a range of offshore wind foundation designs. Conventional foundation designs such as monopiles and jackets have been compared with new innovative designs such as gravity-based and suction-based foundation designs. The results of the study indicate that innovative foundation designs could prove to be more cost effective than conventional foundations for projects with increasing depths and turbine sizes.

FuturENERGY
Foundations represent a large investment in the construction of an offshore wind farm, with around a 21% share of the total cost of an offshore installation. Foundation cost is primary driven by materials (50-60%) and installation costs (15-25%), together representing 65-85% of the total outlay. Read more…

Article published in: FuturENERGY June 2015