Enel Green Power España connects four wind farms in Zaragoza, with an investment of €100 million

0 0

Enel Green Power España (EGPE), Endesa’s renewable energy subsidiary, has connected the El Campo, La Estanca, Loma Gorda and Santo Domingo de Luna wind farms to the grid. Together, these four wind farms have a total capacity of 98 MW and have involved a capital expenditure of €100 million. They are located in the province of Zaragoza and with them the number of the company’s wind farms commissioned in the region of Aragon in recent weeks, following the Sierra Costera I (Teruel) and Campoliva I, Campoliva II and Primoral plants (Zaragoza), rises to eight.

EGPE was awarded 540 MW of wind power and 339 MW of solar energy in the government auctions held in May 2017, which entail a total investment of more than €800 million. The company has so far connected 339 solar MW and some 285 wind MW to the grid and is completing the construction and connection of the remaining wind projects, which will be ready by the end of the year.

The El Campo wind farm, composed of six turbines, will be able to generate 75 GWh a year, enough energy to supply 19,100 families. Its coming on stream will prevent the emission of more than 49,000 metric tons of CO 2 annually into the atmosphere. It straddles the boundary between the municipalities of Mallén and Fréscano, in the province of Zaragoza. Work for its construction began on 21 January 2019 and ended on 21 November. It was connected to the grid on 13 December.

The La Estanca wind farm consists of eight wind turbines that provide a total capacity of 24 MW. It will produce 97 GWh per year, enough to supply energy to some 24,500 families and will prevent the annual emission of some 63,500 metric tons of CO 2 into the atmosphere. Its construction began on 25 March 2019 and ended on 21 November 2019. It was connected to the grid on 13 December. A total of 51% of this wind farm is held by Enel Green Power España and 49% by Bancale Servicios Integrales S.L. It is located in the municipalities of Mallén and Fréscano in the province of Zaragoza.

The Loma Gorda wind farm, consisting of seven turbines, will be able to generate 70 GWh a year, enough energy to supply 17,800 families. Its coming on stream will prevent the emission of more than 46,000 metric tons of CO 2 annually into the atmosphere. It is located in Fuendetodos, Zaragoza. Ground was broken on 5 October 2018 and ended on 31 October 2019. It was connected to the grid on 29 November 2019.

The Santo Domingo de Luna wind farm has a capacity of 30 MW and nine wind turbines. It will produce 116 GWh per year, enough to supply 29,500 households, and prevent the annual emission of 76,000 metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. Its construction began on 20 November 2018 and ended on 27 September 2019. It was connected to the grid on 18 November. It is located in the municipalities of Luna, Las Pedrosas and Sierra de Luna in the province of Zaragoza. Enel Green Power España, with 51%, and General Eólica Aragonesa, with the remaining 49% are the plant’s shareholders.

During the construction of these wind farms, Enel Green Power’s “Sustainable Construction Site” model was applied. This included the installation of photovoltaic panels to cover part of power needs during construction. Water saving measures were also adopted by installing rain collection systems and tanks. Once construction is finished, both the photovoltaic panels and the water saving equipment will be donated for public use. The construction of these wind farms has contributed to partially funding an Industrial Development Plan in the area.

The construction of this renewable capacity is in line with Endesa’s strategy of completely decarbonising its generation mix by 2050. According to the company’s latest Strategic Plan the next milestone is to reach 10.2 GW of renewable installed capacity by 2022, compared with the estimated 7.4 GW by the end of 2019, with a total investment of some €3.8 billion.

Endesa has followed a facility development model that encompasses actions to create social value for the environments in which they are built, the so-called Creating Shared Value (CSV) model. Among these actions, priority was given for these four projects to the incorporation of local labour, as well as hiring catering services and workers’ accommodation locally.

In the case of Santo Domingo de Luna and Loma Gorda specifically, some of the notable actions undertaken, worth more than €184,000 and €117,000 respectively, included the promotion of electric mobility for transfers in construction jobs by installing a charging point and using electric vehicles. In the case of El Campo and La Estanca, with CSV actions worth more than €190,000, energy efficiency actions, such as efficient lighting projects by replacing with LED technology and promoting self-consumption, were carried out in five of the municipalities in the area.

Source: Endesa