Record 6.1 GW of new offshore wind capacity installed globally in 2019

El sector eólico es optimista tras la publicación del borrador de la Hoja de Ruta para el Desarrollo de la Eólica Marina y de las Energías del Mar en España
Foto cortesía de GWEC

The latest data released by the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) shows that the global offshore wind industry added 6.1 GW of offshore wind capacity in 2019, bringing total capacity to 29 GW. 2019 has been a record year for the industry with an impressive 35.5 per cent increase on the previous year, which saw 4.5 GW installed. Offshore wind accounted for approximately 10 per cent of new wind power installations in 2019, an increase from 5 per cent in 2015.

This growth is set to accelerate, with GWEC Market Intelligence’s preliminary forecasts finding that an additional 50 GW of new offshore wind capacity could be installed by 2024 globally, as projects in emerging markets with ambitious targets for offshore wind such as the US, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam and South Korea are realised. This would mean that total installed offshore wind capacity could reach nearly 80 GW globally over the next five years, an increase of almost 172 per cent from today’s capacity.

Europe remained the largest market for offshore wind, accounting for 59 per cent of new installations in 2019, while the Asia-Pacific region accounted for the remaining 41 per cent. China remains the overall leader in new installations for offshore wind, adding more than 2.3 GW capacity in 2019, with the UK and Germany in second and third place, installing 1.8 GW and 1.1 GW respectively.

Eight markets reported new offshore wind installations in 2019:

China – 2,395 MW
United Kingdom – 1,764 MW
Germany – 1,111 MW
Denmark – 374 MW
Belgium – 370 MW
Taiwan – 120 MW
Portugal – 8 MW (floating)
Japan – 3 MW (floating)

Source: GWEC