For many years industry analysts have penned 2020 as the tipping point in electric vehicle adoption, with predictions that global electric vehicle market share will climb to at least 3 percent in 2020* and accelerate to more than 50 percent by 2040**.
Now, ABB has taken another significant step in driving this e-mobility revolution forward over the next decade with the launch of its new Terra AC wallbox. The wallbox is designed not only to meet the surging demand for quality yet affordable connected charging in homes and businesses, but also supports the growing generation of renewable energy users who want to harness and manage the consumption of their own power.
The new Terra AC wallbox, is available in up to 22 kW variants to ensure compatibility with the electrical system of homes and buildings across the world. It offers a safe, smart and sustainable charging solution which supports ABB Electrification’s Mission to Zero for smart cities, a vision for a zero-emission reality for all.
It will be available in select markets, including Europe, over the coming months and available globally by May 2020. The AC wallbox can be ordered via the ABB partner network.
The Terra AC wallbox benefits from connectivity that enables configuration and software updates via a dedicated App or remotely via the cloud, providing a lot of flexibility and minimizing the need for onsite intervention and maximizing uptime and efficiency.
Meanwhile, each charger is equipped with a high accuracy revenue grade energy meter that can be integrated with smart building energy management systems, allowing advanced load management features. This enables home and business owners to adjust the power of assets as needed to maximize charging power and cost efficiency.
Further benefits of the Terra AC wallbox include:
• Broad range of connectivity options including Wifi, Bluetooth and Ethernet
• Space saving design enables seamless installation on a wall or pedestal, which can accommodate two chargers back-to-back
• With multiple connectors available, Terra AC wallbox is compatible with the majority of EVs
• Dustproof and water resistant in harsh weather conditions enhancing uptime and product lifetime
Future proof flexibility
• Future-ready with simple software updated via the user App
• Simplified authentication via either RFID or the App provides flexibility for public-use case applications
• Integrates seamlessly with ABB’s complementary building automation solutions
Safety and protection
• Evaluated and tested by independent third party to meet the highest standards
• Current limiting protection allows maximum charging power without nuisance tripping
• Integrated ground fault and overvoltage protection protects both user and car
* LMC Global Light Vehicle Sales update 2019
**BNEF’sElectric Vehicle Outlook 2019